Jian-Guo Zhang, M.D., Ph.D.
Director, Department of stereotatic and functional neurosurgery, Beijing Tiantan Hospital ＆Beijing Neurosurgery Institute, Capital Medical University, China
Chair, Functional Neurosurgery Committee, Neurosurgery Branch of CMA
Honorary director, Functional Neurosurgery Expert Committee, Neurosurgeon Branch of CMDA
Director, Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery Laboratory
Vice Director, National Key Engineering Laboratory of Neuromodulation
Standing Director, Asian Epilepsy surgery Association
Director, China Association Against Epilepsy
Vice Chair, Chinese Neuromodulation Society
Standing Director, Asian Neuromodulation Society
Dr. Jian-guo Zhang, professor in neurosurgery, whose clinical and experimental research mainly focuses on stereotatic and functional neurosurgery. His team has made substantial progress in research of deep brain stimulation (DBS) for Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, Epilepsy and Addiction. They creatively applied DBS to treat a variety of diseases, such as various types of dystonia, Tourette syndrome, Hallervorden-Spatz disease, Fahr disease, chorea, other movement disorders and mental illness. They have developed the domestic deep brain stimulator in cooperation with Tsinghua University. Their research supported by Eleventh Five and Twelfth Five National Key Technology Research and Development Program of China. The National Development and Reform Commission have approved them to establish the key national engineering laboratory of neuromodulation.
• Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease
• Deep brain stimulation for Alzheimer's disease
• Deep brain stimulation for Epilepsy
• Deep brain stimulation for Addiction
• Development and clinical application of domestic deep brain stimulator
• Correlation of the anterior thalamic nucleus and cortical electrical signal
Awards and Honors:
• The Second Award of the Beijing Municipal Scientific and Technological Progress (2006)
• The Prize for High-level Talents Plan, awarded by Beijing Municipal Government (2009)
• The Title of Top 100 young physicians of Beijing, awarded by Beijing Municipal Government (2007)
• The Third prize of Chinese Medical Science and Technology (2009)
• The Second Award of Outstanding Achievement of Scientific Research, awarded by Ministry of Education (2010)
• The Winner of Academic Award of Wang Zhongcheng neurosurgeon Award (2011)
• The Title of Scientist for Outstanding Contribution, awarded by Beijing Municipal Government (2013)
• Key medical professional development program(2014)
• The first prize of MOE technological award(2015)
• “Deng Feng” personnel training plan(2015)
• Favorable modulation in neurotransmitters: Effects of chronic anterior thalamic nuclei stimulation observed in epileptic monkeys. Lin Shi, An-Chao Yang, Jun-Ju Li, Da-Wei Meng, Bo Jiang, Zhang JG, Experimental Neurology 265 (2015) 94–101.
• Long-term outcome of the globus pallidus internus deep brain stimulation in patients with Tourette syndrome. Zhang JG, GeY, Stead M, Zhang K, Yan SS, Hu W*, Meng FG*. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2014, 89; 1506-1514.
• Liu HG, Yang AC, Meng DW, Chen N, Zhang JG*. Stimulation of the anterior nucleus of the thalamus induces changes in amino acids in the hippocampi of epileptic rats. Brain Res. 2012, 1477:37-44.
• Hu WH, Bi YF, Zhang K, Meng FG, Zhang JG*. High-frequency electrical stimulation in the nucleus accumbens of morphine-treated rats suppresses neuronal firing in reward-related brain regions. Med Sci Monit. 2011, 17(6):153-60.
• Shi L, Yang AC, Meng DW, Li SW, Liu HG, Li JJ, Wang X, Zhang X, Zhang JG*. Pathological alterations and stress responses near DBS electrodes after MRI scans at 7.0T, 3.0T and 1.5T: an in vivo comparative study. PLoS One. 2014, e101624.
• Liu HG, Ma Y, Zhang K, Ge M, Meng FG, Feng T, Wan XH, Guo Y, Wang RZ, Yang AC, Hu WH, Guo JZ, Zhang JG*. Subthalamic deep brain stimulation with a new device in Parkinson's disease: an open-label trial. Neuromodulation. 2013, 16(3):212-8.