Wen G Jiang, MB, M.D., FSB, FRSM.
Director, Capital Medical University-Cardiff University Joint Centre for Biomedical Research and Cancer Institute
Director, Beijing Key Laboratories of Invasion and Metastasis at Capital Medical University
Academic Director for International Relations, Cardiff University
Professor Jiang graduated from Peking University Health Science Centre (Previous Beijing Medical University) and received his MD degree from University of Wales College of Medicine (Presently Cardiff University). Since 1989, he has been a research fellow, senior research fellow, senior lecturer and become professor in 2004. Professor Jiang is a Fellow of Royal Society of Medicine, Fellow of the Society of Biology and received awards of Man of the Year in Medicine. He has established the China Medical Scholarship in the UK and devoted to UK-China collaboration in medicine, medical research and education. The collaborations have won the TIMES Higher Education International Collaboration of the Year. He is a member of British, American and European Society of Cancer Research. Professor Jiang is the Chief Editor of Cancer Metastasis, Journal of Molecular and Genetic Medicine and sit on editorial board of more than 20 international journals. His main interest is cancer metastasis and angiogenesis, cancer genetic tests therapies. He has authored and co-authored 5 books and more than 500 SCI publications.
Three representative publications:
1. Jia YN, Ye L, K Ji, Ji JF, Jiang WG. Death Associated Protein-3, DAP-3 is linked to the clinical outcome and the response to chemotherapy of patients with gastric cancer. British Journal of Cancer, 2014 Jan 21;110(2):421-9. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2013.712
2. Xie C, Jiang XH, Zhang JT, Sun TT, Dong JD, Sanders AJ, Diao RY, Wang Y, Fok KL, Tsang LL, Yu MK, Zhang XH, Chung YW, Ye L, Zhao MY, Guo JH, Xiao ZJ, Lan HY, Ng CF, Lau KM, Cai ZM, Jiang WG, Chan HC. CFTR suppresses tumor progression through miR-193b targeting urokinase plasminogen activator (uPA) in prostate cancer. Oncogene, 2013 May 2;32(18):2282-91. doi: 10.1038/onc.2012.251
3. Escudero-Esparza A, Kalchishkova, Kurbasic E, Jiang WG, Blom AM. The novel complement inhibitor human CUB and Sushi multiple domains 1 (CSMD1) protein promotes Factor I-mediated degradation of C4b and C3b and inhibits the membrane attack complex (MAC) assembly and C9 polymerisation. FASEB J, 2013 Dec;27(12):5083-93. doi: 10.1096/fj.13-230706.2013, PMID, 23964079
1. Molecular and cellular basis of cancer invasion and metastasis
2. Molecular and genetic evaluation of prognosis of patients with cancer
3. Novel therapies for solid tumours
Recent awards and Honors:
• Fellow, the Royal Society of Medicine (FRSM)
• Honorary Professor, Peking University
• Honorary Professor, Inner Mongolia Medical University
• Fellow, the Society of Biology (FSB): 2011
Fellow International Collaboration Award of the Year of UK Universities, Times Higher Education
1. Webber J, Spary LK, Sanders AJ, Jiang WG, Wymant J, Jones AT, Mason MD, Tabi Z, Clayton A. Recruitment of tumour-promoting stromal myofibroblasts by cancer exosomes. Oncogene, Jan 2014. doi: 10.1038/onc.2013.560.
2. Jia YN, Ye L, K Ji, Ji JF, Jiang WG. Death Associated Protein-3, DAP-3 is linked to the clinical outcome and the response to chemotherapy of patients with gastric cancer. British Journal of Cancer, 2014 Jan 21;110(2):421-9. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2013.712
3. Martin TA and Jiang WG. Evaluation of the distribution of stem cell markers in human breast cancer reveals correlation with clinical progression and metastatic disease in ductal carcinoma. Oncology Report, 2014, 31(1), 262-272, doi: 10.3892/or.2013.2813.
4. Fraz, Ye L, Jiang WG. Plexin family proteins in cancer and cancer metastasis. Histology and Histopathology, 2014, 29, 151-165
5. Bracken J, Ghanem T, Kasem B, Jiang WG, Mokbel K. Evidence for tumour suppressor function of DOK7 in human breast cancer. Journal of Cancer Therapy, 2014, 5(1), 63-73