Tao Jiang, M.D., Ph.D., Professor
Vice Director of
Beijing Neurosurgical Institute
Department of Neurosurgery, Beijing Tiantan Hospital
Center of Brain Tumor, Beijing Institute for Brain Disorders
Vice Dean of Department of Clinical Oncology, Capital Medical University
Education and working experience
1983-1988 M.D. Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
1991-1996 Master& PhD Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
1996-1998 Post Doc Beijing Neurosurgical Institute, China
1998-2002 Associate Chief Phyisician Dept. of Neurosurgery, Beijing Tiantan Hospita, China
2002-2004 Visiting Scholar MD Anderson Cancer Center, Texas, United States
2004-present Professor Dept. of Neurosurgery and Oncology, CMU, Beijing, China
2004-present Director Glioma Center, Department of Neurosurgery Beijing Tiantan Hospital, China
2006-2013 Associate Director Molecular Pathological Dept., Beijing Neurosurgical Institute, China
2008-present Vice Dean Dept. of Clinical Oncology, CMU, Beijing, China
2013-present Associate Director Beijing Neurosurgical Institute, China
2013-present Associate Director Instituter for Brain Tumor, Beijing Institute for Brain Disorders, China
2013-present Associate Director Neurosurgery Center, Beijing Tiantan Hospital, China
2013-present Director Molecular Neuropathological Dept., Beijing Neurosurgical Institute, China
1) Chairman, Society for Neuro-Oncology of China, Chinese Medical Doctor Association
2) Head of Chinese Liaison, Glioblastoma Multiforme Adaptive Global Innovative Learning Environment (GBM AGILE)
3) First Director and Founder of Chinese Glioma Cooperative Group
4) Chairman and Founder of Chinese Glioma Genome Atlas project(CGGA)
5) Vice Director, Group of Neuro-Oncology, Chinese Society of Neurosurgery, Chinese Medical Association
6) Asia Regional Editor, Current Signal Transduction Therapy, 2013-present
7) Editorial board member, Neuro-Oncology, 2012-present
8) Academic editor, PLoS ONE, 2012-present
9) Editorial board member, Chinese Journal of Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery. 2007-present
10) Editorial board member, Chinese Journal of Experimental Surgery. 2008-present
11) A Fellow, The American Association of Neuro-oncology
12) Secretary and standing committee member, The Chinese Expert Committee of Neuro-oncology, Chinese Medical Association
Accomplishments and Research Interests:
Dr. Jiang has more than 20 years’ working experience on both clinical practice and scientific research of neurosurgery, and performs more than 500 cases of neurosurgical operations per year.
Dr. Jiang founded the Chinese Glioma Tissue Database(CGTD) in 2004, followed by Chinese Glioma Genome Atlas(CGGA) in 2008. His researches are mainly on “awake craniotomy”, “Glioma associated seizure” and “molecular classification and personalized medicine of glioma”. He has published more than 100 articles and won more than ten national and provincial awards. Dr. Jiang is the past director (2012-2014) and a member of the Chinese Glioma Cooperative Group(CGCG), which unites the main neurosurgical centers around China to provide more opportunities for deep collaboration. CGCG has helped greatly in publishing clinical practice guidelines, organizing training classes, seeking for cooperation, and improved the standards of China’s neurosurgery. Dr Jiang has made great contributions to diagnosis and treatment of glioma, including developed neurosurgical techniques for resecting glioma invading functional regions under awake craniotomy to reduce the incidence of postoperative dysfunction; found glioma-related seizure and molecular-clinical based precaution factor; developed molecular classification scheme and personalized treatment for glioma, and found malignant progression driving factor PTPRZ1 - MET fusion gene and its targeted drugs.
Recent Key Publications:
1. Wang Y, Qian T, You G, Peng X, Chen C, You Y, Yao K, Wu C, Ma J, Sha Z, Wang S and Jiang T. Localizing seizure-susceptible brain regions associated with low-grade gliomas using voxel-based lesion-symptom mapping. Neuro Oncol. 2015; 17(2):282-288.
2. Wang K, Wang Y, Fan X, Wang J, Li G, Ma J, Ma J, Jiang T and Dai J. Radiological features combined with IDH1 status for predicting the survival outcome of glioblastoma patients. Neuro Oncol. 2015.
3. Cai J, Chen J, Zhang W, Yang P, Zhang C, Li M, Yao K, Wang H, Li Q, Jiang C and Jiang T. Loss of ATRX, associated with DNA methylation pattern of chromosome end, impacted biological behaviors of astrocytic tumors. Oncotarget. 2015; 6(20):18105-18115.
4. Sun Y, Zhang W, Chen D, Lv Y, Zheng J, Lilljebjorn H, Ran L, Bao Z, Soneson C, Sjogren HO, Salford LG, Ji J, French PJ, Fioretos T, Jiang T and Fan X. A glioma classification scheme based on coexpression modules of EGFR and PDGFRA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2014; 111(9):3538-3543.
5. Bao ZS, Chen HM, Yang MY, Zhang CB, Yu K, Ye WL, Hu BQ, Yan W, Zhang W, Akers J, Ramakrishnan V, Li J, Carter B, Liu YW, Hu HM, Wang Z, et al. RNA-seq of 272 gliomas revealed a novel, recurrent PTPRZ1-MET fusion transcript in secondary glioblastomas. Genome research. 2014; 24(11):1765-1773.